Thursday, December 4, 2008

Rosemary Pasta

I am having a hard time keeping up with Family Meals for Less. I am going to try and get a new meal out here once a week, so bare with me. This is easy and so good. Add some chicken or shrimp for a protein if you want. As it is, the meal is around $6, however if you add a pound a shrimp you are right at $10. I suspect you could use any fresh herb (oregano, basil) to do this, I just love the rosemary so much I have never strayed. However, if you are serving little ones, rosemary may be a bit much for them and you might be safer with a basil. Since this is really simple the Parmesan is a real stand out in this. Get some of the good stuff. I recommend ,hands down, Locatelli. However, if you don’t want a big block go to Ukrops you can by the end pieces and it will cost your near nothing. Plus you can use the extra on popcorn (yummy).

1 lb pasta ($2)
½ c. olive oil ($1.50)
1 stick butter (.75)
2-3 sprigs fresh rosemary ($1 or free if you have a plant)
Fresh Parmesan ($1)

Start pasta, while that is cooking melt butter and oil in a pan. When the butter mix just starts to bubble, throw in the rosemary and take off the burner. Allow rosemary to steep in the butter for 5 minutes or more. Once pasta is done, remove rosemary and toss with pasta. Serve immediately with fresh grated cheese over.
R

3 comments:

April said...

Hi Vanessa,

Just dropping by from SITS! I love that you have a blog all about cooking. Looks like you have some wonderful recipes!

Hope you have a great Wednesday!

Nurit "1 family. friendly. food." said...

Hi!
My first time on your blog. great idea for a blog! and in good timing.
I'm into saving the animals lately, or at least trying to respect animals we eat more (after watching a horrible video of how they are raised and slaughtered... anyway...). I bought organic chicken liver at Whole Foods for $3 a pound! 3-4 people can eat from this. but of course many will say "yuck", which really they shouldn't say. I sauteed it in butter, derdged it in flour mixed with cinnamon before. Everyone loved it! and the house smelled like cake :)
so, if we eat other parts of animals, we can afford to but organic and free-range, and sustainable, for less.

Stephanie said...

use the extra on POPCORN!? youre a GENIUS! :) i love it